90's Dictionary Additions
- Body Nazis: Hard-core exercise and weight-lifting fanatics who
look down on anyone who doesn't work out obsessively.
- Seagull Manager: A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise,
shits all over everything and then leaves.
- Chainsaw Consultant: An outside expert brought in to reduce
the employee headcount, leaving the top brass with clean hands.
- SITCOMs: What yuppies turn into when they have children and
one of them stops working to stay home with the kids. Stands
for 'Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.'
- Starter Marriage: A short-lived first marriage that ends in
divorce with no kids, no property and no regrets.
- Swiped-Out: An ATM or credit card that has been rendered
useless because the magnetic strip is worn away from extensive use.
- Tourists: People who take training classes just to get a
vacation from their jobs. We had three serious students in the
class; the rest were just tourists.
- Xerox subsidy: Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from
- Assmosis: The process by which some people seem to absorb
success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather
than working hard.
- Flight Risk: Used to describe employees who are suspected of
planning to leave a company or department soon.
- GOOD Job: A Get-Out-Of-Debt job. A well-paying job people
take in order to pay off their debts, one that they will quit as
soon as they are solvent again.
- Irritainment: Entertainment and media spectacles that are
annoying, but you find yourself unable to stop watching them. The
O.J. trials were a prime example.
- Uninstalled: Euphemism for being fired. Heard on the
voicemail of a vice president at a downsizing computer firm:
"You have reached the number of an uninstalled vice president.
Please dial our main number and ask the operator for assistance."
See also Decruitment.
- Vulcan Nerve Pinch: The taxing hand position required to reach
all the appropriate keys for certain commands. For instance, the
warm re-boot for a Mac II computer involves simultaneously
pressing the Control key, the Command key, the Return key and the
Power On key.
-Yuppie Food Stamps: The ubiquitous $20 bills spewed out of ATMs
everywhere. Often used when trying to split the bill after
a meal: "We owe $10 each, but all anybody's got is yuppie food